Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Building a board at the signal factory

the morning after getting back from japan, I wanted to take full advantage of being near the the signal factory in Huntington beach CA. So I decided to build some snowboards.

We ride the things almost every day, but we never really get to see how there made and how much work goes into making them.



The first step is making the graphic, witch Blat wiped up for me real quick from his hotel. I chose to sublimate my board since I wanted to do it quick. Almost all the signal snowboards are sublimated and then hand painted



You put this stuff on it so it doesn't damage the top sheet







Then you cut some edges out and clamp
them Around the board with a little glue to hold them in place.



The next step is to cute a few sheets of glass out



I wanted my board to be a little stiffer, so I put a few strips of carbon in it



Then you bring all your materials over to the press



Here's the press





This is what holds it all together, the resin, it mixes from 2 different barrels to make a perfect mixture





After that it's pretty much just like making a sandwich with resin in between each layer. then you put it in the press, hit few switches and in 20 minutes take it out







After it cools down for I minute you cut it out. Tep cut it out for me so I wouldn't fuck it up or myself



Then you drill out the inserts





Grind that shit down and get it all nice and smooth



And then you got yourself a hand built snowboard

No comments:

Post a Comment